Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sportsmanship


Being a good sport is a great way to make new friends, and generally good ones at that. Sportsmanship can apply to any area of life where competition is involved. Which is generally everywhere. From the board room to the game board it can work. A few reasons to have good sportsmanship in a win or a loss.

1) People will respect you for having it when you win and when you lose.
2) You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar and the same is true with people
3) It is just more fun to be a good sport about stuff
4) You can learn more if you are humble than prideful and sportsmanship involves humility

Learning the rules and then playing by them is another part of sportsmanship. Integrity will win more hearts than success through deceit will. If you love something go for it too, don't be discouraged by failure early on in new ventures, keep working and pursuing the things you love and you will get to where you want. The feeling of success after hard work is awesome, and I can testify of it.

Most people that know me know I play Ultimate Frisbee... a lot. I started playing just a little over a year ago and fell in love with it. I started out utterly horrible at it. I knew one way of throwing the disc and couldn't throw it very well at all. Through patience of the awesome people I played with and a little help and direction from almost everybody, I got better. I bought my own discs not long after starting and started practicing every night. The best part was I took my little sister out and made her help me practice. (she loves the sport now too) Now a little over a year later, being able to throw the disc all sorts of different ways and actually knowing what I am doing, I have come to know success through hard work and determination.

In short, don't give up, do your best, and be a good sport about it and you can't really fail at what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment