Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reflection

Boy has it been a while since I have last written here. So many things have happened since I last wrote. I don't even know where to begin. I guess it is time to rededicate this blog. I am going to start writing about things that take place in my personal spiritual journey. Things that happen in my physical journey. Finally I will also write about my emotional journey.

In the medieval time period there were warriors called crusaders. They called themselves such as they claimed to be warriors for Christ, often seeking for salvation at the claims of the church that fighting in a crusade would provide them with such. Almost like the modern day jihad claims that those who die fighting for Allah will attain paradise and 72 virgins.

I'm not really shooting for killing people here, but I do want to be a spiritual warrior of sorts. I'm not the most spiritual guy, or the most knowledgeable, but I know where I stand, and that is with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I believe that by following his example I will someday be able to attain the perfection that he commands us to attain in both Matthew in the New Testament and 3 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. 

I recently started going to college. It has definitely helped me improve my social skills, that quite honestly were lacking. Aside from that however I have been able to see the true morals that people have. I have found people struggling and fighting through life just like I am, and I see how kind they are to others. I have found people struggling and fighting the world and they act as though they do it alone. I know some of the coolest people in the world I am sure of it.

First off, I want to start with paying tribute to my mom. She is the most remarkable woman I know. Despite all of the hard things I have seen her go through in the past years, (there have been TONS) she still manages to love everybody around her. Right now my dad is the bishop(like a pastor) of a Young Single Adult ward(congregation) in our city. Every time my mom has participated down there (this is her second time around) she has managed to find someone to wrap her arms around and love. She likes adopting new kids that are too old to be adopted. Her love extends beyond bounds that I can even comprehend. Imagine getting to live with, learn from, and be around someone like that your entire childhood. I am truly blessed.

Next up is my dad. To be perfectly honest I have not always seen eye to eye with my dad. Growing up we constantly butted heads. I have had the great fortune of growing up, if only a little. My dad is awesome. Being a bishop is extremely taxing. On top of that he works hard to support his family, and somehow even manages to spend time with us throughout the week. Including a weekly date with my mom. He is dedicated, loving, and patient with everybody around him. There are times that he struggles, but who doesn't. We are all human. I am grateful to have the relationship I do with my dad. He even plays basketball with me. (even though he is over 50 years old)

I am going to try to keep the rest of this to a minimum. However I want to mention the rest of my family and friends as people who have helped me to grow to become who I am today. They have been very patient in putting up with me, and even taking the time to help me out and teach me.

So I guess my real message today is this. Family matters. Maybe you don't have the "ideal" family, but family are the people that love you no matter what. The ones who don't care how many times you have screwed up, but are willing to be there for you always. If you find yourself estranged from those surrounding you, and feel totally and completely alone, remember Christ. He is always there, no matter how many hard things we have gone through, or are going through. In the prolific words of President Gordon B. Hinkley,
If life gets too hard to stand, kneel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment